Package Theft Safety Tips
Black Friday and Cyber Monday means great deals, but it also means packages arriving at your door and thieves lurking for the perfect opportunity. With the majority of deliveries left on doorsteps and not requiring a signature for release, package theft is expected to be on the rise this holiday season.
In some instances, thieves will follow or watch for the UPS, Fed Ex or other delivery trucks and then target a home after a delivery is made.
Here are some tips you can follow to keep your presents safe from porch pirates:
- Install a security camera on your porch, put thieves on the defense by recording their every move
- Use your workplace as the shipping address
- Track your shipments by phone, on-line, or by carrier app so you know what day they should arrive
- Ask your neighbor to watch for your delivery and then hold the items until you arrive home
- Keep an eye on your neighborhood and report suspicious persons and vehicles sitting or cruising the area – See Something, Say Something!
- Request a signature delivery option, if available
- Have the shipment be held at the shipping facility such as a UPS office or an Amazon Pick Up Point
- Utilize a “mailbox” business in your town and see if they will accept shipment of your item for a fee
- If you do not receive your shipment on time, check with the company of origin and confirm the delivery. If the item was delivered and you did not receive it, then report the theft or loss to the original company, the shipping company, and your local police.
Remember, if you see something suspicious, say something!e